We know that moms are not unlike kids in the way that they come in all shapes and sizes and their interests vary dramatically. This is why there is no one size fits all when it comes to buying gifts for Mother’s Day, birthdays, Christmas etc. For this reason, experience gifts for moms remain a good idea and their versatility is a bonus.
The best thing about experience gifts is you can choose with whom the experience takes place. This can be alone for the mom who is in need of some quiet time (I’m raising my hand!) with a loved one she doesn’t get to see very often or even with a group of close friends. The main idea is to tailor it to her interests and needs.
What is a Good Experience Gift for Moms?
Let’s divide our favorite women into categories to help us choose a good experience gift for moms. Of course, no one falls into just a single category so be sure to skim through them all to find the best fit.
Experience Gifts for the Creative Mom
Whether your mom is into painting, crocheting, photography, scrapbooking etc. there are some great experience gifts for creative moms out there. Definitely ask around at some of your local craft shops and art studios and keep an open eye for classes that are a little less artsy such as candle making or candy making which are still for those creative mamas.
Here are some ideas to consider.
- Music lessons- Many of us adults wish we had learned to play one instrument or another, but who wants to invest in lessons now? I bet they would love it if they received some free lessons as a gift.
- Dance lessons- whether salsa is her jam or she’s always wanted to learn ballroom dancing, I’m sure she will love taking on this new hobby.
- Photography class
- Flower arranging workshop- I’ve also seen cool classes for drying flowers and then creating art with them. What a great hobby!
- Paint night- these were all the rage in my area for awhile. I know a lot of ladies had a wonderful time.
- Cake decorating classes
- Cooking classes- you know you will benefit from this one also!
- Winemaking classes
Experience Gifts for the Mom who Needs Some Quiet Time
I think most moms need some quiet time but often feel guilty. If you give it to her as a gift, she will be obligated to go out and enjoy!
- Babysitting coupons (enough said!)
- Spa day
- At home spa kit
- Hobby Lobby gift card- I put this here in the quiet time category because I find browsing Hobby Lobby to be a fun and relaxing way to spend an hour or two. It is less fun when you have kids with you or a husband who would rather not be there.
- Audible or audio books- We all know a good book can be just the break we need, but often we busy moms need to multi-task which is why listening while cooking, cleaning, walking, or running errands is a great idea.
Check out these other great experience gifts posts!
20 Memorable Experience Gifts for Men
Fun Experience Gifts for Kids They are Sure to Love
Experience Gifts for Moms Who Crave Adventure
Adventure comes in all different shapes and sizes. I, personally, enjoy hiking, and anytime we don our gear and head someplace new, it is an adventure. Some moms are a little more thrill seeking than I am so I tried to include experience gifts for moms that would meet both interests.
- Vacation or weekend getaway- this is an obvious choice and don’t feel like it has to be an elaborate trip to an exotic location. Weekend getaways at a nice Air B and B can be just what she needs to relax and enjoy her family (or relax on her own!)
- Theme park tickets
- Rockwall climbing- I have seen some amazing courses that would challenge anyone as well as some more “fun” ones.
- Martial arts- We often take our kids to these classes, but a lot of us moms want to learn too! Check into adult classes or private classes.
- White water rafting
- State Park Pass- We have camped at several state parks and the hiking trails are awesome.
- Escape room- these just recently came on my radar and they look like so much fun!
- Farm tour- Many farms these days offer tours and farm to table dining experiences. I’ve even seen tours available for flower farms which would be a great place to grab some pics of mom.
- Horseback riding- whether it’s a trail ride or lessons, many moms would love to spend some time with these beautiful animals.
- Ski pass- skiing is very popular around here, but it is costly.
- Hot air balloon ride
Experience Gifts for Moms Who Could Use a Little Help
I was talking to an elderly neighbor one time and she mentioned to me that the best gift she ever received was for a diaper service. Of course, this was before the days of disposable diapers and I am sure that was greatly appreciated. If you have a busy mom who would love some help with her many responsibilities, check out this list.
- Housecleaning service- this can be weekly or monthly. Many companies also provide specialty cleaning such as windows.
- Meal kit delivery- food prep takes a lot of time so why not try a meal kit delivery such as Hello Fresh in which the food is ready to throw into a pan?
- Chore coupons- give mom coupons that she can trade in for jobs that inevitably need to be done and then be sure it gets done well.
- Hire a mother’s helper- I don’t know if this is what they still call them, but having a teenage girl keep an eye on young kids while you cross things off your to-do list can really reduce your stress.
What to Gift a Mom Who Has Everything?
I think the best gift to give a mom who has everything is to gift them with memories. Whether that means making a photo book on Shutterfly or booking a photoshoot with her favorite people (you of course!) she is sure to love it.
Another way to gift memories is with the experience gifts for moms that we’ve been talking about. Here are a few more ideas on the higher end of your budget.
- Cruise- the variety of cruises and places you can visit is amazing these days and will undoubtedly be a wonderful experience.
- Tickets to a sporting event
- Concert tickets
- Season tickets to the theater
No matter which of these experience gifts for moms that you choose, I know she is going to love it! How do I know? Because you put real thought and effort into the gift and it will show.
While tangible gifts are nice, one of the best gifts you can give your mom (or wife or mother-in-law) is appreciation. A common complaint amongst us moms is how unappreciated we feel.
This bit of advice has nothing to do with experience gifts but I think it is important to point out. Moms want to feel as if all of the hard work they pour into their families means something. They want to know that their efforts are felt and appreciated.
Gifts are wonderful, but no object can make up for a bad attitude. So, thank your mom when she makes you a nice meal, pick up a small token of appreciation for your mother-in-law when she has your kids all day, or kiss your wife and tell her you don’t know what you’d do without her. These will mean more to them than a hot air balloon ride.
If you found a great idea in these experience gifts for moms, let me know in the comments below!